Wednesday, 12 January 2011

The Ward Project and a technical crisis

This years Ceramics has almost entirely been based around The Ward Project and the line of investigation into my family translated into clay.
I've been embroidering faces with interesting features and them pressing the embroideries into rolled slabs to create slab pots. I've been struggling to bring them to life.

It was Claire's idea to try attaching ears, I had a go, and to be honest, it made my pot look a little bit like Prince Charles (Perhaps not a bad thing?) . I knitted a little bobble hat for him, that was quite fun, but not an idea I'll be taking forward!

I really wanted to do something more exciting, and bigger... and I'm not very good at working big. Claire had already pushed me to do big drawings, and now I'm doing those, and feel confident enough, I'm finding it hard to downsize again. I also felt a little bit that just pressing the stitch into the clay was not giving the life and personality to the people that I wanted.
So it was time for a change of plan.

I realised that the problem was that, mainly because I'm on this half of my course my by myself, and partly because I discovered ceramics late in the game, I feel that I don't know everything there is to know about ceramics, and actually, I'm restricting myself and my ideas by not really knowing all that options of things I can do with the materials and the firing.

Claire told me to drop the ward project for a couple of weeks and just experiment with the things I can do.
So that's what i've been doing. I've been making massive pinch pots,
and throwing little bowls, and this week, i'm going to smash up existing ceramics and inlay them into my own work, to see what happens in the firing.
Hopefully this will help and give me a but more confidence to be free with what i do!
I'll keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment