Wednesday 12 January 2011

Preservation and the woman's role within the home


I'm feeling really stressed about this presentation i've got to give on Tuesday. Normally i find it really easy to talk about my work, but this time, i seem lost for much to say. I guess, in my mind, i'm translating the recipes from Grandma Jessie's book into stitch, and it is what it is.

I think i'm going to have to really play on the idea of preservation. Preserving her memories, handwriting and all the things that were important to her (providing for her family, and being mother) in stitch. I guess the problem with that is that i could have just as easily photocopied the pages of the book and stuck them in a folder, and they would be better preserved than in my falling-apart old book.

I'm always drawing on the idea of traditional female processes and the role of the woman within the home. I feel that i can't get away with talking about the same subject again. Although it is really relevant, and i can bring 'The Subversive Stitch' and the oppression of women through traditional textile processes into it.
I don't want it to come across that my Grandma was oppressed by her role in the family. Perhaps she was, but I wouldn't like to think of her like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment